Thursday, April 28, 2011

Smoking!

My wife bought me a new smoker Saturday to replace the old worn out one I bought used about 14 years ago. We had nasty weather till Tuesday so I was finally able to put it together.

Of course the first thing to do after putting a smoker together is to season it. This is done by rubbing the entire inside of the smoker with vegetable oil, then building a fire in the firebox (offset on the left on this model) and letting it burn for a few hours.





After seasoning it, of course I had to initiate the smoker, right? There's a rack of spare ribs and a pork butt (shoulder). I used a dry rub before smoking them, and basted them liberally with apple juice while smoking.












I couldn't leave an empty space in the smoker the first time I used it so I put a roll of Indiana Pork Sausage (see previous blog entry) in a foil pie plate and placed it on the rack. These were not done when I took this picture. They had only been smoking for a couple hours at this point.










There's nothing like some good smoked meat with your eggs for breakfast.














Add some grits and a cup of coffee for a delicious breakfast.










I was busy baking this afternoon. Between these homemade buns and the crescent rolls below, the house was smelling very good. I love baking yeast breads. Nothing makes the house smell better.







These are layered before rolling up, and a cold butter in between each layer.










I mixed some of the pulled pork from the shoulder with barbecue sauce for sandwiches using the homemade buns.













Time to dig in! And yes it was messy. All good barbecue is.

No comments: