Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Firing up the smoker again.


Yesterday was another smokin'! day. This time it was chickens, pork picnic, and sausage.

Instead of using charcoal I used maple from a tree that fell into our back yard last year. I used a chain saw to cut sections the right length to fit in the firebox, then split them to firewood size.

I used the same method of lighting the wood that I used for charcoal. The best way to light either one is using a chimney starter. I placed kindling, which for those of you who haven't built campfires is small pieces of wood that will catch fire easily, into the chimney. I use old newspapers and advertisements printed on newsprint (the thin non-shiny paper) dampened with a little vegetable oil. The oil makes the paper act as a wick, burning slower than by itself so that the wood or charcoal catches fire before the paper is burned. I place this in the cavity in the bottom of the chimney, place the chimney on a grate or other fireproof surface, then light. In the case of wood, you can pour it CAREFULLY into the firebox once it is about half burned. This will ensure it will get the rest of your wood burning. In the case of charcoal, wait until all the coals are white before pouring into your grill.

I know a lot of people like brining their meat before smoking it, and that is fine. I like to use rubs instead. There are as many recipes for rubs as there are people who barbecue. Find one you like, modify it to where you like the taste, and there will be one more recipe.

I also basted the meat with apple juice. It helps keep the meat moist, plus adds flavor. Other smokers use other methods, but that's one that I like.

There is a major difference between smoking pork shoulders and picnics. The shoulder, or Boston butt, easily pulls apart to serve as pulled pork. Picnics have a tighter structure without the marbling and connective tissue that shoulders have. They are still good for smoking, but instead of pulling them I prefer to slice the meat.

Earlier times that I smoked breakfast sausage I left it in the smoker 1 or 2 hours. This time I left it in the smoker 4 or 5 hours. This resulted in much better flavor. Sadly, the 1 pound roll I smoked yesterday is already over half eaten. I'll have to smoke at least 2 pounds next time. I did not realize how much better it would taste with the added smoking time. My wife and I ate a quarter pound each just "sampling" it after it came out of the smoker. Yes, I basted the sausage with apple juice too.

I used roasting hens for smoking because they have more fat content than fryers. You want that because of the extended cooking time. Some people split their chickens when smoking them. I didn't this time, but will try that next time.

In addition to basting the meat, I also turned all the meat 180° during the smoking process because it was darker on the side facing the firebox. I also turned all pieces over around the halfway point, then turned them another 180° when approximately 3/4 done. This includes the sausage.

Cooking doesn't have to be in a kitchen or over a stove. Keep in mind that everyone's tastes are different, and unless you're cooking for a restaurant cook food you and your love ones like. If that means modifying a recipe so you like the flavor more, then do so. Recipes, for the most part, are guidelines. The important thing is that the people who are eating the food like it.

I learned a lesson several years ago from the late Jeff Smith, also knows as The Frugal Gourmet. Food tastes better when eaten with others. I always enjoyed cooking, but I enjoy it so much more when I'm sharing that food with friends and family. Have a blessed time in the kitchen, or wherever you cook, and enjoy time with those you love.

2 comments:

Rickie said...

Nice article "Chef"... thanks for sharing your thought on smoking meats. I look forward to reading your future articles.

Jim said...

Thank you Rickie. I've been smoking meats for a few years using a small water smoker, but moved up to this smoker a few months ago.